What began as a sketch on a napkin has become an architectural icon and home for the performing arts in Kansas City. The Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts has changed Kansas City’s skyline, and will soon change the experiences of artists and audiences throughout the region.
The Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts will be bustling with a free community open house, Sunday, September 18. More than 40 of Kansas City’s finest performing arts groups, composed of approximately 450 individual artists will perform.
When: Sunday, September 18, 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Where: Muriel Kauffman Theatre, Helzberg Hall, and four outdoor stages* around the Kauffman Center
Registration: Open House is a free public event and registration is optional. However, online registrants will automatically qualify for a drawing to win two tickets to the Theater League’s production of Million Dollar Quartet at the Kauffman Center.
Backpacks and other large bags will be searched. Safety is our number one priority for this fun-filled weekend, and we thank you for your cooperation.
|Muriel Kauffman Theatre
12:05 PM – Kansas City Ballet School
12:00 PM – Kansas City Youth Symphony
Outdoor Stage 1*: Front West
12:00 PM – Rob Foster
Outdoor Stage 2*: Front East
12:20 PM – Wild Women
Stage 3*: East Courtyard
12:00 PM – Cimino
Outdoor Stage 4*: Wyandotte
12:20 PM – Trampled Under Foot
Built around the Kauffman Center’s core mission of bringing the arts to the community and the community to the arts, Open House is one of the cornerstones of the opening weekend festivities. To celebrate this milestone event, the downtown Kansas City arts community will celebrate alongside the Kauffman Center.
Kauffman Center guests are invited to get a taste of Downtown Kansas City either before or after their opening day visit to the center. All events run from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- A daytime First Friday arts experience in the Crossroads
- Live jazz and entertainment in and around the Power & Light District (*)
- Urban food truck dining experience adjacent to the Kauffman Center
- The region’s largest farmers market in nearby City Market (8 a.m.-3 p.m.)
- The annual Black Expo at Bartle Hall (noon-9 p.m.)
- The Art of the Chopper exhibition at Union Station
- Special dining and shopping opportunities throughout Downtown, including the Crossroads, Power & Light District, Union Station and Westside (*)
- Free shuttle service to the Kauffman Center from convenient parking in and around the Crossroads and the Power & Light District
(*) indicates evening hours, too
Thank You To Our Partners
Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts and executive producers Baruch/Gayton Entertainment Group wish to thank all of our Kansas City Event Planning, Production and Artistic partners who are helping to make Grand Opening Weekend an extraordinary celebration for our community.
- O’Neill Marketing & Event Management
- The Wellington Group
- Harvest Productions
- Chuck Matney/Matney Floral Design
- Dover Strategy Group
- Kansas City Convention Center
- Townsend Communications
- PB&J Restaurants
- Lon Lane Inspired Occasions
- All Seasons Event Rental
- Downtown Council of Kansas City
- Evenergy Events & Sponsorships
- Kansas City Ballet
- Lyric Opera of Kansas City
- Kansas City Symphony and Chorus
- UMKC Conservatory of Music and Dance
- Quixotic Fusion
- T2+BackAlley Films
- American Jazz Museum
- Kansas City Art Institute
- The many excellent performers and organizations appearing at the Kauffman Center Open House on Sunday September 18