2019 Set Records for the Kauffman Center
The Kauffman Center had a record-breaking year. Here’s a look at some of these notable milestones.
Over the last year…
- 530,000+ guests visited the Kauffman Center – the highest annual attendance since the Center’s opening in 2011
- A record-breaking 350+ performances were shared on our stages by the Kauffman Center Presents series, our three resident companies, and more than 20 other arts organizations
- The Kauffman Center received the highest experience rating of Kansas City’s 10 major cultural institutions in Mid-America Regional Council’s Quality of Life Survey for the second consecutive year
- 99% of all survey participants responded favorably when asked if they would recommend the Kauffman Center to a friend
- Five Kauffman Center Presents performances brought more than 1,400 first-time patrons to the Kauffman Center
- 53,000+ students and educators attended nearly 50 school matinees
- 21,000+ students received Open Doors bus transportation assistance to attend school matinees
- 1,035 individuals received free tickets to attend Kauffman Center performances through the Community Tickets program
- 4,500 people have attended Future Stages Festival, a free annual event showcasing 750 youth performers
Kauffman Center Goes Global
In April, Kauffman Center was viewed around the world through Google Arts & Culture – an online exhibition that features collections, stories, and 360-degree tours from 15 renowned Kansas City institutions, including the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts. The exhibition highlights the history, people and culture that makes Kansas City the “Heart of America.” The project launched with a video highlighting Kansas City’s arts and culture scene. The platform has introduced Kansas City and its arts and culture to an international audience giving visitors around the world the opportunity to learn and experience Kansas City – and the Kauffman Center – in a new way. Learn more about the Kauffman Center’s involvement in Google Arts & Culture here.
New Accessibility Resources Allow More People to Enjoy the Kauffman Center
The Kauffman Center is dedicated to connecting Kansas City communities with live performing arts experiences. Through a partnership with Variety Children’s Charity of Greater Kansas City, the Center introduced new accessible amenities including Serenity Rooms and Sensory Kits. In October, the Kauffman Center held ribbon cutting event to celebrate the new amenities. The unveiling event was attended by 75 Variety KC families who were the first to explore the Kauffman Center’s new accessibility features. Families also attended the Jack Hanna’s Into the Wild Live! matinee. The new features will support the Center’s ongoing effort to ensure attending a performance is a positive experience for all. Learn more about the Kauffman Center’s partnership with Variety KC here.
Kauffman Center Hits National Airwaves
On January 12, an audience of approximately 2.6 million people – our largest audience yet – heard the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts mentioned numerous times during the American radio show Live from Here with Chris Thile. The show was produced and broadcast live from the Muriel Kauffman Theatre stage to more than 650 National Public Radio stations across the country, Sirius XM satellite radio, and the Armed Forces Network around the world. Learn more.
Connect with the Kauffman Center
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to get more details about upcoming performances at the Kauffman Center and behind-the-scenes access.